Interimconsult are now providing Programme Management Consultancy Services to the Rail Supply Group until March 2022 to deliver the Rail Sector Deal.
The Rail Sector Deal, published in December 2018, sets out a new approach to the rail industry and the government working in partnership to transform the rail sector by taking actions to increase the use of digital technology, boost productivity, improve the service received by those who use our railways and build the skills of the UK workforce to capitalise on these opportunities.
The delivery of the Sector Deal will equip the railway for its strategic role as a driver of economic growth and to provide a positive experience for passengers and freight users. It includes 5 key commitments:
- Ideas – sharing rail industry data widely across transport modes and infrastructure systems will bring new entrants to the rail market and enable the development of innovative customer-focused products, which will enhance passenger experience.
- People – development and implementation of an Education and People Strategy will strengthen industry’s leadership and digital rail skills, and will improve promotion of the rail sector as a great place to work, attracting talented individuals to ensure a capable and adaptable workforce, now and in the future.
- Infrastructure – building on the 5-year certainty provided by the rail Control Periods, Network Rail and HS2 Ltd will produce more detailed plans and longer-term ‘roadmaps’ to provide even greater certainty to the rail supply sector. This will drive productivity, supporting the sector to deliver significant reductions in the cost of digital signalling, which will increase capacity and reliability of the network and improve passenger experience.
- Business Environment – building on the publication of the Rail Network Enhancement Pipeline guidance, which sets out how industry can support and influence CP6 delivery plans, the government will agree a mechanism to ensure more active involvement in the development of CP6 renewals plans. This will provide even greater confidence to the rail supply sector to invest in people, skills and research & development.
- Places – to have prosperous places throughout the UK. By increasing the growth of SMEs and apprenticeships, we will improve awareness of opportunities, increase the quality and quantity of applications for apprenticeships and improve knowledge and image of the sector with young people, and enhance the Midlands Engine as a world class rail hub and centre of excellence.